Director, Structural Engineering
As part of a small, passionate, and accomplished team, you will design, evaluate, and deliver world-class high-performance wall systems, enclosures, and buildings using ICON’s technology set. As an ICONIC, you will be a leader and direct contributor to the development of entirely novel approaches to high-performance buildings and you will have the opportunity to work with your team to advance humankind’s ability to provide dignified, affordable, resilient, and sustainable shelter to the world. This role will report directly to VP, of Building Design & Performance at our Austin, TX office.
- Manage, perform, and lead Structural Engineering and Engineer of Record (EOR) responsibilities for ICON projects.
- Execute on project requirements in collaboration with architects, engineers, building & material science teams through all stages of project design and construction.
- Align and maintain project delivery schedules in collaboration with Architecture & Building Systems project management, ensuring we are engineering projects per company priorities.
- Lead coordination efforts between clients, architects, engineers, consultants, as well as the ICON team including the VP of Building Design, VP of Construction Operations, Construction Architects, Design Technologists, and Construction Project Managers.
- Lead a small support team executing project delivery and delivering structural documentation of ICON’s design-build projects.
- Lead in the structural design development of ICON’s Concrete 3D-Printed (C3DP) wall system for various projects throughout the United States.
- Structural calculations for enclosure and wall system design in coordination with other ICON departments.
- Conduct structural performance evaluation and diagnostics for design development, certification and testing.
- Propose structural designs for optimal performance by utilizing novel software and computational methodologies.
- Lead in the evaluation of ICON’s structural building systems for compliance with building codes, standards and performance criteria.
- Provide senior-level input on foundation systems for a variety of conditions while incorporating requirements from construction and hardware teams.
- Perform field testing and building inspections of new and existing projects.
- Participate in site observations and test preparation with project team and partners.
- Prepare and submit engineering reports for assigned projects and tasks.
- Review architectural and structural drawings prepared by 3rd party consultants for conformance with ICON standards and details.
- Review shop drawings and submittals from 3rd party contractors for conformance with ICON standards and details.
- In and out of state overnight travel, as required for assigned projects and tasks (typically no more than 1 - 2 nights).
- 10+ years of relevant work experience.
- Degree in Civil / Structural Engineering or related discipline.
- Licensed PE in state of residence with the ability to be licensed in Texas in 6 - 8 weeks.
- Experience in concrete structural design.
- Experience with vertical structural design.
- Experience with structural analysis and computer aided design tools.
- Experience in computational mechanics and/or numerical programming.
- Experience in technical writing and in field or lab testing.
- Knowledge of AutoCad, Abaqus (or equivalent FEA software), NavisWorks and Microsoft Office (Excel and Word).
- An intuition of building physics that enables the candidate to act as a resource for design teams and advise on the efficacy of proposed design solutions.
- Excellent communication skills, fluency in spoken and written English.
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to meet critical deadlines.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Able to read and understand building envelope drawings including wall cladding systems, curtain wall, window and door systems, waterproofing, and roofing.
- Working knowledge of test methods and standards associated with testing of structural systems required for code compliance.
- Ability to read and understand architectural drawings and specifications.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or higher in a related discipline.
- 9+ years of professional experience working on complex, concrete structural projects within a design-build environment.
- LEED Accredited Professional designation.
- Experience and familiarity with sustainability aspects of structural material systems (e.g. carbon content, and life cycle assessment).
- Strong expertise in computational design software and programming; Experience with Trimble Tekla, Autodesk Forge, CATIA.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?