Director of Construction Architecture
ICON is seeking a Director of Construction Architecture. As a part of the Architecture & Building Performance team, this position will liaise internally with construction operations, and externally with clients, architects, subcontractors, and city inspectors/administrators.
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team, you will deliver world-class high-performance wall systems, enclosures, and buildings using ICON’s technology set. As an ICONIC, you will be a leader and direct contributor to the development of entirely novel approaches to high-performance buildings and you will have the opportunity to work with your team to advance humankind’s ability to provide dignified, affordable, resilient, and sustainable shelter to the world.
- Lead coordination between the client, architect, engineers, consultants, as well as the ICON team including the VP of Construction Operations, Construction Architects, and Project Managers.
- Manage project schedules and budgets.
- Deliver and fulfill project requirements per in collaboration with architects, engineers, building & material science through all stages of project design and construction.
- Review consultant drawings and details for design intent and successful interfacing with 3D-printed wall design and construction.
- Assist in the development of ICON’s wall catalog for application of wall systems in various climatic conditions.
- Produce drawings to communicate design intent for research and development, and for submittal to various testing agencies for code compliance,
- Coordinate with software engineers, print technicians, and construction operations to ensure successful implementation of wall construction in the field.
- 9+ years of experience in complex, multi-disciplinary design and analysis projects, including experience in construction project management. Experience in residential design and planning preferred.
- Professional degree in Architecture from an accredited institution. Masters degree preferred.
- Professional license required.
- Proficiency in Revit, Rhino, Google Suite, hand sketching, and verbal communication.
- Extensive knowledge of BIM management and coordination.
- Experience coordinating all phases of design (schematic design, design development, construction documents, and construction administration) with all disciplines (civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing)
- Experience producing and organizing construction documents for complex projects, with an emphasis on integrating building systems.
- Strong experience in Construction Administration, including RFI and submittal review, and other general construction related correspondence.
- Working knowledge of the International Residential (IRC) and Building (IBC) codes, ADA guidelines, fair housing act (FHA), principles of concrete design & construction, construction specifications, and test methods and standards associated with the testing of building envelope systems (AAMA/ASTM)
- Desire to work with a highly collaborative team, on a quickly evolving product, and in a fast paced environment.
- Interest in sustainable design, curiosity for novel architectural technologies, and desire to perfect the craft of construction.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Proficiency in Revit, Rhino, and Google Suite required.
- Proactive problem-solving skills, strong organizational skills, and ability to multi-task.
- LEED accredited Professional.
ICON is an equal opportunity employer and committed to fostering a diverse workforce. It is our policy to administer all personnel actions, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting employees, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other legally protected classification in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. Consistent with the obligations of these laws, ICON will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?