ICON was founded with the belief that human shelter in the future must be different than the shelter we have known to solve some of humanity’s most pressing challenges and open some of our most exciting opportunities.
ROLE: BUILDING SCIENTIST
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team, you will lead the design, evaluation, and delivery of world-class high-performance wall systems, enclosures, and buildings using ICON’s technology set. This position will directly report to the Head of Housing Product and impact the history of human construction, building science, and the built environment and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention.
As an ICONIC building scientist, you will be a leader and direct contributor to the development of entirely novel approaches to high-performance buildings and you will have the opportunity work with your team to advance humankind’s ability to provide dignified, affordable, resilient, and sustainable shelter to the world. This will be a very complex, multi-disciplinary role with multiple stakeholders. You will lead ICON’s building performance efforts including heat, moisture, and comfort management. Additionally, you will interact with the technology and platform teams to help guide the direction of the core functionality of our technology systems. You will interact regularly with the CEO, especially during the critical foundational phases.
- Development of high-performance wall systems that maximize human comfort, safety, experience, and sustainability
- Building Science and investigation into building performance
- Enclosure and Wall System Design
- Sustainability Strategy
- Integrated Mechanical Design
- Water Systems Design
- Electrical & Energy Production Systems
- Performance evaluation and diagnostics
- Lead in the evaluation of ICON’s building systems and building designs against various regulatory and testing regimes
- Lead in the development of approaches that play to the strength of 3D printing while respecting present technical constraints
- Work with the technology and platform teams to automate and digitize the delivery of various phases of the design and construction process
- Work to maximize the environmental and sustainability outcomes for each design and project
- Provide senior-level contributions on thermal, moisture, comfort, and sustainability performance of ICON buildings and wall-systems
- Field performance testing and building inspections
- Forensic investigations of building envelope failures
- Communicate with project team and clients regarding site observations, test preparation, procedures, results, and reporting matters
- Prepare and submit accurate and concise reports for assigned projects/tasks
- Review architectural drawings, shop drawings and submittals pertaining to the building envelope
- Consistent and professional interaction and communication with clients and project team
- Develop remedial work recommendations and plans for existing building projects
- Monitor project tasks and budgets
- Local and overnight travel, as required for assigned projects and tasks
- 5 or more years of relevant work experience.
- Professional degree in related field
- Knowledge of fundamental principles of building physics and awareness of metrics used to quantify different dimensions of building performance is required.
- Design and technical detailing expertise
- Interest in sustainable design, the craft of construction, and humanity’s future
- Ability to work well with others as a team leader
- Excellent communication skills, fluent in English- spoken and written
- Strong conceptual and design skills
- The ability to develop design options in collaboration with the technology and operations teams
- Strong organizational skills, able to work under pressure, meet deadlines and budget time
- Ability to take initiative in response to direction from managers and feedback from peers
- A flexible and open attitude towards new ways of working
- Knowledge of construction methods
- Basic understanding of building construction
- Ability to understand the building envelope including wall cladding systems, curtain wall, window and door systems, waterproofing, and roofing including their installation means and methods
- Working knowledge of test methods and standards associated with the testing of building envelope systems (primarily, but not limited to – AAMA/ASTM fenestration testing standards)
- Ability to read and understand architectural drawings and specifications
- Willing and able to perform office tasks and perform physical labor
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks
- Ability to perform work from ladders, boom-lifts, roof levels, etc.
- Technically competent and able to effectively communicate with clients, designers, contractors and co-workers both in writing and orally
- Ability to develop and maintain good rapport with clients, designers, contractors, etc.
- Sound computer skills
- An intuition of building physics that enable the candidate to act as a resource for design teams and advise on the efficacy of proposed design solutions.
- Experience leading or carrying out research initiatives that advance the practice’s understanding of how buildings function both technically and socially.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate degree in a related discipline
- 5+ years of professional experience in complex, multi-disciplinary mechanical design and analysis
- Proactive problem-solving skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication with an emphasis on interpersonal and organizational skills
- Proficiency in energy and daylight modeling software is highly desirable. LEED accreditation is a plus.
- Experience with Rhino and Grasshopper is a plus.
ICON offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, and relocation.
ICON is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with ICON is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Sound good? Submit your application today!