Director, DOD Research and Development Programs
ICON develops advanced construction technologies that advance humanity. Using proprietary 3D printing robotics, software and advanced materials, ICON is shifting the paradigm of homebuilding on Earth and beyond.
The Director of DOD Research and Development Programs directs and oversees all construction-scale 3D printing R&D specific to the US Department of Defense (DOD). This role will require management of individual contributors working on specific initiatives that span disciplines including: hardware, software, and material science. Lastly, this role will interface with a number of stakeholders including: the DOD customer, ICON leadership, and other team leads at ICON. This role is based at our headquarters in Austin, Texas.
- Utilize technical expertise to oversee the program/project management of key engineering initiatives including providing cross-functional guidance and decision-making
- Advise on all aspects of initiatives, including selection of manufacturing methods, fabrication, controls methods, or operation of product designs
- Build and manage a technical program management team by hiring and developing skilled technical engineering program managers
- Work closely with software, hardware, and materials engineering leadership on strategic planning—translating business strategies and customer goals into attainable and measurable deliverables, technical operating procedures, and execution of defined goals
- Establish a world-class engineering culture that encourages honesty, transparency, and recognition
- Drive a results-oriented culture with a strong focus on collaboration, innovation, engineering excellence, timely execution, and a high degree of customer focus
- Recruit, coach, and mentor the best engineering and management talent
- Possess strong communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills
- Develop loyalty and commitment in others by communicating clear expectations, developing and mentoring direct reports, and setting an example in one’s own behavior
- Possess and communicate the high value of safety, reliability and quality in the systems and products
- Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering field with 7+ years of experience building and leading technical/engineering teams at the senior leadership level. (VP, Director, etc.)
- Highly technical experience with the practical application of engineering and product design best practices
- Highly technical with experience in designing distributed, cloud-based solutions and managing remote infrastructures
- Experience in early stages of research and development projects
- Proven track record of delivering technology products on time, on schedule, and on budget
- 5+ years of experience in the fields of one of the following or related industries:
- Large product factory Automation
- Heavy Equipment for mining, processing, construction, logistics, agriculture, etc.
- Raw material processing, example pulp and paper
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?