ICON is looking for a curious, passionate, and collaborative Industrial Designer. Candidate must be a highly motivated, determined problem-solver with a rigorous attention to detail. This candidate will join a small multidisciplinary team responsible for conceiving, designing, validating, and launching ICON’s world-class products. As an ICONic, you will be a direct contributor to the development of entirely new products and processes to advance humankind’s ability to provide dignified, affordable, resilient, and sustainable shelter to the world. This role is based in Austin, TX and reports to the Director of Design.
- Collaborate with team members and executives to invent, design, engineer, and launch new products and services.
- Negotiating and collaborating cross functionally with various departments such as our Hardware, Home, Controls, Material Science and Software teams to refine and execute the vision for our products and services.
- Developing deep technical knowledge in areas outside your realm of expertise to understand other teams’ design constraints and challenges in service of creating seamless processes and production solutions.
- Collaborating with outside vendors and internal experts to optimize designs for function, aesthetics, and production
- Researching new materials, production methods, and technology as needed for projects.
- Must be willing to perform a wide range of tasks on a daily basis (e.g. Transition from studio work to field work at a moment’s notice).
- 7+ years of professional work experience as an Industrial Designer.
- Industrial Design degree required or equivalent.
- Experience in hands-on prototyping, without relying solely on virtual design tools.
- A body of work that has been produced or the understanding of how it can be produced.
- Able to research materials and material exploration.
- Able to create high quality design work and then manage production of design work with various partners and vendors.
- Adept at communicating in a collaborative team environment and seeking optimum solutions with other team members.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience working in a design studio environment and or large multidisciplinary teams with strong design processes.
- Experience in space or additive manufacturing is a plus.
- Experience creating product ecosystems and entire design languages.
- Strong 3D-modeling & photorealistic rendering skills a plus.
ICON is an equal opportunity employer and committed to fostering a diverse workforce. It is our policy to administer all personnel actions, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting employees, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other legally protected classification in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. Consistent with the obligations of these laws, ICON will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?