ICON was founded with the belief that human shelter in the future must be different than the shelter we have known in order to solve some of humanity’s most pressing challenges, and open up some of our most exciting opportunities… including out in space.
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will lead the design, development, testing and demonstration of a prototype construction system for the Lunar surface and eventually Mars. This position will directly report to the CEO and impact the history of human construction, architecture, and space exploration. It will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention.
ROLE: SPACE PROGRAM: Interplanetary Construction System Product/Program Manager
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team, you will lead the design, development, and realization of groundbreaking architectural designs for building-scale 3D printing. This position will directly report to the CEO and impact the history of human construction, architecture, and the built environment and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention.
As the program manager for ICON’s interplanetary construction system, you will be a leader and direct contributor to the eventual construction of humanity’s first home on another world and you will have the opportunity work with your team to advance humankind’s reach in the universe, and challenging the status quo. This will be a very complex, multi-disciplinary project with multiple stakeholders. You will own hardware, software, and control systems from cradle to grave and will interact regularly with the CEO, especially during critical design and prototyping phases.
- Drive the design, development and operation of structures and mechanisms for the ICON Construction System
- System-level ownership of primary systems and subsystems, mechanisms, and control systems of the ICON Construction System
- Serve as a technical lead for the overall development of design criteria, analysis tools, and software
- Manage the entire design cycle of mechanical subsystems, including conceptual and detailed design, trade studies, structural analysis, development testing and qualification
- Participates with a multi-discipline team of research engineers and managers on projects and professional assignments.
- Evaluate experimental techniques, processes, materials, and equipment for 3D printing on the lunar and Martian surface.
- Supports the research and development of experimental additive manufacturing techniques and processes.
- Researches and analyzes data, issues, and information for senior team in support of project recommendations; and to prepare written materials, technical reports and project documentation.
- Follows guidelines, regulations, policies, production/validation processes, design/construction standards, and methodologies in the design, evaluation, research and analytical, scientific, and engineering functions in support of electronic packaging.
- Create test plans for parts/systems through development, qualification and acceptance testing
- Work cross-functionally with other ICON team members as necessary.
- Perform due diligence analysis on designs and lead/participate in regular reviews with CEO and others.
- Be responsible for the prototype delivery timeline from early design through demonstration
- Identify and perform testing and analysis to mitigate risks
- Exemplify technical excellence and be accountable for your own work
- Design and certify mechanical systems that meet customer standards
- Ownership of product delivery timeline through conception, design, assembly and demonstration
- Lead in subsystem level design & testing including planning, execution, data reduction and analysis
- Develop component specifications and manage suppliers
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or related field
- Minimum of 3 years of recent experience in additive manufacturing, 3D printing, robotics, aerospace, mechatronics, or related field.
- Strong mechanical design and integration skills using 3D modeling tools.
- Hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly and/or testing
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience in NASA, SpaceX, Blue Origin, or related systems engineering protocols and processes
- Experience in large-scale robotics
- Experience in the space industry
- Master's degree in an engineering discipline
- 5+ years of professional experience in complex, multi-disciplinary mechanical design and analysis
- Proactive problem-solving skills such as failure analysis, root cause investigation, and Design of Experiments creation
- Exceptional written and verbal communication with an emphasis on interpersonal and organizational skills
ICON offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, and relocation.
ICON is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with ICON is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Sound good? Submit your application today!