ICON was founded to revolutionize homebuilding and making dignified housing the standard for people throughout the world. Using proprietary 3D printing robotics, software and advanced materials, ICON is solving a plurality of problems in the contemporary building industry with their breakthrough technologies.
ROLE: PRINCIPAL OR SENIOR MECHANICAL ENGINEER
Reports to: Head of Hardware Engineering
Vacation: 2 weeks
Travel Requirements: Light (3-6 Weeks Per Year Estimated)
Start Date: Summer 2020
Location: Austin, TX
Education: BSME or similar required, MSME preferred. 8+ years of working experience designing and building construction equipment or in an applicable field
IN ONE SENTENCE: The ICON technology team is adding a principal-level mechanical engineer to lead one of our product teams in the development, commissioning, and support of our mobile large-scale concrete 3D printers.
If you want to use your superpowers to solve one of humanity's biggest challenges, then we want to meet you.
- Lead a technical team in the development of a robotic platform for construction applications, focusing on motion platforms and dynamic fluid systems
- Design and create prototypes using in-house and external fabrication
- Progress development of systems through product commercialization
- Provide hands-on, troubleshooting, process, and manufacturing support as well designing, implementing, and integrating solutions in a fast-paced environment with a quick AGILE development cycle
- Create design solutions utilizing engineering methods with good documentation processes
- Must be willing to perform a wide range of tasks on a daily basis (e.g. Transition from office work to field work at a moment’s notice)
- Establish individual and team goals consistent with overall company OKRs
- Mentor engineers in their career development
- Proven record of leading an engineering development team to deliver on-time milestones
- Ability to use first principles creatively to solve difficult problems
- Experience with design of large and/or mobile machinery and understanding and adapting to the field requirements for such machines
- Experience designing automation-specific mechanisms
- Experience taking projects from prototype to product
- Experience in working with manufacturers and building external partnerships
- Demonstrated knowledge of component manufacturing processes (including machining, rapid prototyping, etc.)
- Experience in developing pilot test and assembly fixtures
- Proficiency using parametric solid modeling and CAD software to design and document parts and assemblies
- SolidWorks experience preferred; Experience with PDM, a plus
- Familiarity with making drawings and applicable drawing and tolerancing standards
- Adept at communicating in a collaborative team environment and seeking optimum solutions with other team members
- Knowledge of the AGILE SCRUM methodology of project management
- A service-oriented attitude when in a support role
- Ability to prioritize and stay cool in a dynamic start-up environment
- Current driver’s license
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Must be prepared to work, in part, in extreme environments: temps > 100 degrees or below freezing, sun, rain, mud, lack of electricity, etc. We get dirty.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Previous start-up experience, and/or a resourceful innovative nature with an ability to streamline or develop efficient processes
- Ability to read and understand electrical schematics, and the ability to troubleshoot electrical and mechanical systems
- Knowledge of ROS
- Experience running FEA or CFD analysis
- Industrial safety system experience
- High performance communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts to less technical people
- A hunger for learning and personal growth
WHAT IS NEXT?
In addition to a resume, please provide a selection from your design portfolio that you believe shows why your past experiences and future aspirations make you a solid fit for this role.
Sound good? Submit Your Application Today!