Senior Robotics Engineer
The ICON Engineering team is hiring a Senior Robotics Engineer in an effort to develop, commission, and support our growing fleet of mobile large-scale concrete 3D printers. This role is based locally in ICON’s Austin, TX laboratories, and will report to the Robotics Engineering Manager.
- Develop cutting-edge motion and process control software to develop and improve both new and existing products.
- Collaborate with other departments to design, develop, and implement control and sensing strategies across multiple areas of the company.
- Support printers operating in the field, both remotely and on-site.
- Must be willing to perform a wide range of tasks on a daily basis (e.g. Transition from office work to fieldwork at a moment’s notice).
- Travel is minimal, however, the ability to travel (including internationally) on short notice is required.
- 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Fluency in IEC 61131-3 languages, especially Beckhoff TwinCAT.
- Strong understanding and experience in the Industrial Automation and control systems industry.
- Fluency in some form of real-time control software.
- A proven track record of delivering projects to end users.
- A solid understanding of motion or process control techniques in real-time industrial systems.
- An innovative, driven, out-of-the-box thinker, self-motivated to investigate and implement new ideas, and proactive in overcoming obstacles.
- A service-oriented attitude when in a support role.
- Knowledge of non-PLC programming languages, such as Rust, Python, C++, etc.
- Must be prepared to work, in part, in extreme environments.
PREFERRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Prior start-up experience.
- Understanding of various field buses, protocols, sensors, and actuators.
- Advanced IP Networking, including VPN, mobile networks, and IoT.
- Industrial safety system experience.
- Knowledge of database-driven software.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?