Senior Graphic Designer
ICON is looking for a highly motivated and creative Senior Graphic Designer. This candidate will join a small, multidisciplinary team in ICON’s Design studio who are responsible for conceiving, designing, validating, and launching our world-class products and services. The Design team manages the entire company brand plus directs and produces ICON’s media content such as short form videos and marketing campaigns for major projects. As an ICONic, you will be a direct contributor to the development of entirely new products and processes to advance humankind’s ability to provide dignified, affordable, resilient, and sustainable shelter to the world. This role is based in Austin, TX, and reports to the Principal Graphic Designer.
- Lead cross-disciplinary analysis of existing solutions and opportunity spaces to drive user understanding among different parties through workshop activities.
- Execute the detailed design of defined experiences, products, and services.
- Collaborate with team members and executives to design, engineer, and launch new products and services all while crafting the overall ICON story.
- Collaborating with outside vendors and internal experts to optimize designs for function, aesthetics, and production of design work.
- Negotiating and collaborating cross-functionally with various departments such as our PR & Communications, Home, and Software teams to refine and execute the vision for products and services.
- Study design briefs and determine requirements.
- Work with senior creative leadership to develop design specs for production and development teams.
- Ability to create appropriate design deliverables at every stage of the design lifecycle, such as conceptual sketches, mockups, templated systems and detailed executions.
- Managing and directing daily job flow for designers and junior designers.
- Developing deep technical knowledge in areas outside your realm of expertise to understand other teams’ design constraints and craft creative visual solutions or effectively communicate complex information.
- Providing creative direction to other designers and mentoring junior designers.
- Managing and evolving the ICON brand across a range of media channels.
- Create and iterate client-facing deliverables on time across multiple platforms, including web, print, digital and social.
- Must be willing to perform a wide range of tasks on a daily basis (e.g. Transition from studio work to field work at a moment’s notice).
- 7+ years of professional work experience as a Graphic Designer, Visual Designer, or UX Designer.
- BFA or BS or equivalent in design.
- High degree of motivation, curiosity, passion and creativity.
- High level of autonomy and ability to work through projects with ambiguity.
- Design craftsmanship - able to create high quality design work and then manage production of design work with various vendors to ensure the proper outcome.
- An understanding of design research and human behavioral patterns.
- Demonstrated knowledge of various production processes (including printing, screen printing, etc.).
- Proficiency using standard creative software, such as the Adobe Creative Cloud suite.
- Adept at communicating in a collaborative team environment and seeking optimum solutions with other team members.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience working in a design studio environment with other types of designers and familiarity with various design processes.
- Previous design consultancy/studio/agency experience, and/or a resourceful innovative nature with an ability to streamline or develop efficient processes.
- Deep brand development & management experience.
- Experience in video production, aerospace, or 3D-printing a plus.
ICON is an equal opportunity employer and committed to fostering a diverse workforce. It is our policy to administer all personnel actions, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting employees, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other legally protected classification in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. Consistent with the obligations of these laws, ICON will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?