Senior Materials Engineer I
ICON is looking for a Senior Materials Engineer to join the Material Science team. The Senior Materials Engineer will be responsible for developing and optimizing cement-based 3D-printable materials. Additionally, in this role, you will assist in the development, design, and execution of material performance evaluation and improvement programs. You will support cross-functional initiatives and serve as the point of contact for various ICON teams. This role will report to the Director of Material Science and is based out of our Austin, TX campus.
- Develop new formulations of cement-based 3D-printable materials and optimize the performance of existing formulations and mix designs.
- Design and execute testing programs focused on performance evaluation of 3D-printed materials and structures.
- Prepare and independently lead full-scale material testing campaigns and collaborate on their successful execution with other teams.
- Troubleshoot material performance in ICON’s Vulcan and Magma system and provide feedback to the technology teams on possible solutions and performance improvements.
- Support the development of ICON’s projects (development, design, construction, and post-construction).
- Create a project-specific quality control/assurance program and oversee ICON materials compliance with project specifications and building codes.
- Generate test reports and presentations to effectively communicate material performance across various ICON teams.
- Assist with the development of R&D initiatives, programs, and proposals.
- Develop one-off test methods and adapt standardized testing procedures to 3D-printed applications.
- Provide support and training to laboratory personnel.
- Must be willing to perform a wide range of tasks on a daily basis in both office and laboratory/field environments.
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering or Material Science (with focus on cement-based materials) with 3+ years industry experience, or M.S. with 6+ years industry experience, or B.S. in Civil Engineering/Material Science with 8+ years industry experience.
- Knowledge of fundamentals of concrete and cement-based materials science and technology.
- Experience in evaluation of cement-based materials using standardized (ASTM, EN, ISO) and one-off test methods and procedures.
- Experience in the development, optimization, and performance troubleshooting of concrete mixtures and/or other cement-based products (grouts, dry mortars, etc).
- Experience in the development of concrete specifications.
- Demonstrated experience in leading R&D projects and initiatives.
- A quick learner capable of understanding the operational aspects of hardware, electrical, controls, and software systems utilized by the company.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and/or supervising teams and other professionals, including multidisciplinary teams and laboratory technicians.
- Exceptional technical and problem-solving skills and reasoning ability.
- This position may require travel up to 20% of the year.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Previous start-up experience, and/or a resourceful innovative nature with an ability to streamline or develop efficient processes.
- An engineer in nature eager to learn various aspects of the large-scale 3D printing process (hardware, control and software systems, architecture, and design).
- A skilled user and/or ability to quickly learn how to use various software tools for data analysis, data acquisition, cement-based materials performance modeling.
- Sound understanding of concrete structural performance.
- Experience in analyzing large data sets and ability to draw data-driven conclusions.
- Ability to prioritize and stay cool in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
ICON is an equal opportunity employer and committed to fostering a diverse workforce. It is our policy to administer all personnel actions, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting employees, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other legally protected classification in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. Consistent with the obligations of these laws, ICON will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?