ICON is seeking a Construction Estimator to play an integral role in building 3D printed houses. This individual will work as a member of the Construction Operations team and will support multiple different types of projects, including production residential, custom residential, military, and NASA. They will also be responsible for building out a successful estimation process that can be scaled as the company grows. Most importantly, the ideal applicant will be an enthusiastic member of a dynamic startup team which is doing work that matters. This role is based in Austin, TX campus and reports to ICON's VP of Finance.
- Review and understand plans and accurately estimate materials and labor required for construction.
- Provide direct estimation support for both the Build Ops and Print Ops teams.
- Liaise with Material Science and Tech teams to facilitate cost savings for print materials.
- Liaise with the Building Design & Performance team to facilitate cost savings for construction.
- Liaise with the Business Development team to build estimates for prospective projects.
- Perform takeoffs and estimates from project plans.
- Research vendors and best practices for the purpose of achieving cost savings.
- Visit sites, suppliers, and other venues necessary to gather appropriate information for estimating.
- Prepare relevant and reliable forecasts.
- Create and present reports to upper management.
- Analyze and evaluate bids and quotes.
- Provide value engineering recommendations.
- Select, measure and track important cost metrics.
- Build and maintain long-term relationships with the key vendors.
- Work closely with Purchasing and with Accounting and Finance teams.
- 5+ years of relevant experience as a construction estimator.
- In-depth knowledge of construction estimation, specifically in residential production building.
- Experience with construction value engineering fundamentals.
- Well-versed with construction estimating softwares.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Excellent time-management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
ICON is an equal opportunity employer and committed to fostering a diverse workforce. It is our policy to administer all personnel actions, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting employees, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other legally protected classification in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. Consistent with the obligations of these laws, ICON will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?