The material scientist/materials engineer’s primary responsibility is to iterate on previously
developed cementitious mixes as well as to develop new mix designs for manufacturing and
use with the Vulcan 3D printer.
● Develop new mix designs and iterate on previously designed mixes.
● Run experiments for research and development and quality control testing.
● Evaluate material for durability testing as per ASTM Standards.
● Work with construction materials manufacturers to ensure new mix designs can be
● Manage the material testing of newly developed mixes as well as monitor the testing of
● Provide recommendations and/or research cementitious mixes for non 3D printing
● PhD in Engineering or equivalent experience.
● Masters with 3 years industry Experience.
● BS in Civil Engineering /Material Science Engineering with 5 years industry
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
● Experience in concrete science and technology.
● Experience developing custom cement mixes.
● Experience with standard ASTM testing procedures is required.
● Experience working with dry-mix manufactures preferred.
● Experience in quality control of 3D-printable mixes would be preferred.
● Experience in cementitious material characterization and durability testing is preferred.
● Experience in building science would be preferred.
● Innovative, driven, out of the box thinker, self-motivated to investigate and implement
new ideas, and proactive in overcoming obstacles.
● Very strong communication, teamwork and organizational skills.
● Demonstrated experience in leading or working on a multi-disciplinary engineering
● Physical effort may be required for handling of light-weight supplies or materials (up to
50 lbs unassisted).
● Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, noise and
● Must be available to work extended hours and weekends when needed; flexibility
● Experience in inventory management and purchasing.
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We're a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we're not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn't hurt that it's super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn't exist before—and that someone can now call home?